Jason Griggs’ real estate journey started with a $50,000 condo he bought while working as an elementary school teacher. Now, 11 years later, he’s one of Vegas’ top short-term-rental investors, a licensed real estate agent, and a mentor. On today’s podcast, Jason shares why all agents should invest in real estate, the strategies he uses to find deals, and why he almost never sells the properties he purchases. Listen and learn how to leverage your experience as an agent to supercharge your success as a real estate investor.
Listen to today’s show and learn:
- About Jason Griggs [1:00]
- Jason’s transition from teaching to real estate [2:48]
- How working in real estate can help you win investment deals [5:24]
- Advice for new real estate agents on buying investment homes [6:07]
- What’s puzzling about many real estate agents today [7:45]
- How to identify a good real estate deal [8:58]
- Finding good deals when interest rates are bad [9:52]
- Jason’s start with short-term rentals [11:26]
- Cash-flow differences between long- and short-term rentals [12:35]
- Finding the right location for a short-term rental [13:36]
- Advice for people who want to get started with short-term rentals [15:27]
- Switching from a short-term rental to a long-term rental [16:45]
- Jason’s real estate strategy [17:30]
- Why Donald Trump is so wealthy [19:05]
- Finding a good partner for your deals [20:56]
- How fear can hold you back in real estate [25:55]
- Choosing between a flip and a rental [26:59]
- An argument against the BRRRR method [28:21]
- Signs of potential problems on the horizon for real estate [30:08]
- Why Jason will never do an ARM loan [32:50]
- Advice for new real estate agents: join a team [33:42]
- Getting over the fear of making your first hire [37:30]
- The 3x rule [40:43]
On June 10, 2011, Jason made one of the best decisions in his life. He relocated from ‘The Big Apple’ to the entertainment capital of the world, Las Vegas. Our city began to prosper and Jason wanted to be a part of it. His passion was ignited for real estate and Jason has now sold over 20 million dollars in properties. Jason is a personal investor himself and holds properties in Henderson.
Jason created The Griggs Team, which consists of 4 top professionals. Together, they have built a culture that motivates each of them to be their best selves and to provide the best service for their clients.
Jason is an active member in the community. He started a lacrosse program called, Moving Up Lacrosse. It started out with 30 players and has grown to over 200 players. As a coach, he demonstrates the characteristics of being a genuine role model. He emphasizes the importance of team work and mental toughness. Jason believes that it is vital to give back to the community. His program regularly participates at holiday food drives to ensure that lose less fortunate have a warm meal to eat.
Jason was born and raised in Long Island, NY. As a collegiate athlete, he attended West Virginia University and completed his Bachelors Degree in Sports Marketing and Communications. He continued his education at Adelphi University and earned his Masters Degree in Education. Currently, he lives in Henderson with his wife, Samantha.
Related Links and Resources:
Thank You Rockstars!
It might go without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway: We really value listeners like you. We’re constantly working to improve the show, so why not leave us a review? If you love the content and can’t stand the thought of missing the nuggets our Rockstar guests share every week, please subscribe; it’ll get you instant access to our latest episodes and is the best way to support your favorite real estate podcast. Have questions? Suggestions? Want to say hi? Shoot me a message via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Email.